Chug, Chug, Chug

 


My mantra of late is I think I can, I think I can.  Free motion quilting (fmq) is my target.  I would like to be  competent at fmq.  It seems to me to be a very specific skill set and all the available resources stress practice, practice and more PRACTICE.  


I have been focused on the meander as it seems the easiest and most forgiving.   I continue to struggle with the timing and coordination of moving the fabric slowly with my hands while my foot pedal is going fast.  It is actually easiest to make neat even stitches when the needle is moving quickly.   Slow hands + fast feet are ideal.


As I moved from the practice pads to my table runner ripping was required.   I need to loosen up and not sweat each oops to make progress.   I am no longer breaking needles or thread so that is a win.


As you can see above there is some work to do to achieve a consistent stitch length.  I want to be able to relax into the process and have a flowing meander and even stipple.



I used my Accuquilt Go Big to cut  2.5 inch strips for a 2 inch binding.


The finished runner.  What I did well, good coverage with my quilting and no tucks or ridges.  What I can do better, consistent stitch length and smooth, even lines.  
Chug,chug, chug...I know I can.




 






Comments

Popular Posts