Mount Scrapmore



I love fabric scraps.  During the last two plus years of COVID and work stress, visits to Cary Quilting Company provided a welcome distraction.   



Fast forward to July of 2022 and welcome to Mount Scrapmore! Imagine three more of these Ikea rolling carts crammed full of scraps sorted by color.  I was using my scraps but not as quickly as I amassed them.  I knew one of my first goals for retirement was to organize my fabric.  I searched for a system that would work for me.  I found Karen Brown with Just Get it Done Quilts.  She recommends cutting your scaps into some standard sizes that you use most often.  Thank goodness for my Accuquilt cutter.

Purple scraps first sorted, ironed and then cut ino squares and strips.  It took three to four hours to do each drawer.  I still have two to do. The racks now look like this.


Of course there were offcuts and even scrappier scraps leftover from all the cutting.  Resulting in this.


I was beginning to think of the  movie, The Neverending Story. 


I decided to randomly pull from these to make three log cabin blocks of each color.  Here is the progress.


There were still scraps leftover.  Cue the music from the movie. So...
I made these Selvedge pin cushions.  I got the idea from Anna who has a YouTube channel called Quilt Roadies which I really enjoy.


There were still some small pieces of fabric left and I forced myself to toss those.  You would think with all this scrappy activity I wouldn't be tempted to buy any more but..


Purchased these scraps today at Cary Quilting Company and whipped up another pin cushion. 



Comments

Popular Posts