Ahhhhhh Retirement

 I have not posted in a very long time.   Work was intense and my time and energy spent on crafting minimal.   But on July 1st I retired after 25 years of North Carolina government service.   The quote below is perfect for this time in my life.


It is a wonderful adjustment realizing my time is my own.  After years of juggling multiple work priorities and being responsible for 75 people it is remarkable to only supervise one person... me.  Dear hubs would argue that is a full-time job!

I look forward to posting weekly about my quilting and crafting.  I am in the midst of major fabric scrap organizing which deserves its own post.  I also am toying with committing myself to no unfinished or languishing projects by New Year's Day. 

For now, here are a few pictures of my recent return to cross stitch after a thirty-year hiatus. This is directly attributable to my friend, Susan.  She has a floss tube called Criminally Creative.  It was a slippery slope.  I watched Susan's channel because I love seeing what she is working on but then she opened that cross-stitch door and YIKES!



This is my current project, a tribute to Rosa Parks.  When I think about her courage I am astounded at her determination in the face of such systemic and pervasive hate.  

It really only takes a needle and thread to do cross stitch, but all the accoutrements are fun (floss drops, project bags, needle minders... oh my!).


I learned yesterday that I can quilt, weave and knit in the car but not cross stitch.  Need to rip out that last motif as it is one off!

We drove to Okoneeche State Park in Clarksville Virginia to check out RV campsites for future trips.  Hubs was kind enough to travel fifty miles further to check out Southern Stitchers Needlework in Brookneal Virginia.  What a lovely shop.  I could have spent all day there!  The owner, Whitney and the stitchers gathered around the stitching table were so nice!


The selection was really expansive and well curated.  It would have been quite easy to go bananas!


I was pretty selective as I am not interested in amassing a cross stitch stash, she says earnestly!  It is a benefit to be able to shop in person.  Being able to see and feel the fabric is important.  I would definitely recommend this shop to anyone interested in quilting, cross stitch and punch needle.  


So, until next time friends happy stitching.  As it says above, I plan to keep the schedule light!




Comments

Popular Posts